As the world celebrated International Day of People with Disability on 3 December, it is an ideal opportunity for industry and individual businesses to consider upgrading workplaces for people with disability. Embracing inclusion and diversity and opening up the opportunities of bringing the skills and talents of people with disability into the workplace.
The day is observed globally, by the United Nations and in Australia has the support of the Australian Government and many other organisations. The key aims are to increase the awareness in the public domain and to create a greater understanding and acceptance of people with disability and of course, promote inclusivity.
While many businesses have already embraced the inclusion of people with disability into the workplace, many others still need to make modifications to their operation.
Adapting and modifying workplaces for this purpose may involve a wide range of requirements including specialised machinery, office fit-out and fixtures alterations and possibly changes to processes. All investments which may require finance. Jade Equipment Finance provides loans for a wide range of purposes to allow businesses funds for upgrading workplaces for people with disability.
When considering what needs to be done in a specific workplace it is worth noting that there is legislation around this in Australia with the Disability Discrimination Act. This Act covers issues when a person receives less favourable treatment or is not provided the same opportunities as others due a disability. Details can be reviewed which may assist forming ideas and plans for your workplace modifications.
Range of Equipment and Purposes Financed
In considering how a workplace could be adapted for people with disability, consider the needs of customers and visitors as well as those of workers. The requirements for customers may differ and relate to front of house as opposed to the engine-room of the operation.
To assist and support business to make workplaces suitable for people with disability, we provide finance for a multitude of purposes:-
- Purchase of all types of equipment, plant and machinery used in many industries.
- Specialist vehicles for operators with disability – forklifts, warehouse and logistics equipment and other machinery.
- Adapting and modifying machinery for use by persons with mobility and other issues.
- Office and retail fit-outs and refurbishments. May include ramps and widening access points for wheelchair access.
- Wayfinding and signage for the vision-impaired. Braille signage is available for this purpose.
- Adding enhance audio elements to announcements, alerts and other cross-workplace systems.
- Investing in IT and computers specifically designed for vision or hearing impaired and for those with mobility issues.
- Systems and processes may need to be adapted. This may involve retraining and/or the involvement of consultants to develop and implement new systems around WH&S and other issues.
- External specialist consultants may be required to advise on what is required.
This list is far from complete as the equipment and other purposes may be quite specific and will vary greatly for different types of businesses. If you are in doubt as to whether or not the modifications and adaptations you are considering can be financed, just give us a call. Finance is available for both new and second-hand stock items and customised equipment and solutions.
Types of Finance Products Available
The type of finance required will vary depending on the actual expenditure – specifically asset acquisition or non-asset expense. We offer a wide range of loan types so we can cover both categories.
Asset acquisition finance to purchase equipment and machinery includes:-
- Chattel Mortgage or Equipment Loan
- Equipment Lease
- Rent to Own
- Hire Purchase
These loan types are used for purchases of actual items of machinery or equipment which can be offered as security against the finance extended. Deciding which loan type is best-suited to a business should involve a conversation with the business accountant.
For investments and purchases where an asset suitable to be used as security against the finance is not involved, we offer a range of finance solutions:-
- Secured and Unsecured Business Loans
- Lender Overdrafts for smaller expenses which can be covered by cash flow in a small-medium timeframe.
These loan products can be used for purposes such as some fit-outs which are not covered by asset finance; modifying systems requiring external consultants and suppliers; small priced items which may be below the loan threshold for asset finance; cost of consultants, training and other purposes.
Comparing Rates and Repayments
To start formulating a budget for implementing the changes required in your workplace, use our finance calculator and the interest rate comparison calculator. Both provide an easy way to get rough repayment estimates which can be used for comparing different items and for planning purposes.
Where the project involves a number of elements, your Jade consultant can work with you and our lenders to structure a finance solution tailored to specific needs.
To discuss finance to adapt a workplace for people with disability, speak with a Jade Equipment Finance consultant on 1300 000 003
DISCLAIMER: IF MISINTERPRETATIONS, MISREPRESENTATION OR ERRORS EXIST IN THIS ARTICLE, NO LIABILITY IS ACCEPTED. THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED ONLY FOR GENERAL PURPOSES AND NOT IN ANY MANNER INTENDED AS THE ONLY SOURCE FOR MAKING FINANCIAL DECISIONS. THOSE THAT CONSIDER THEY REQUIRE ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE OR ADVICE SHOULD REFER TO AN INDEPENDENT FINANCIAL ADVISOR.