Field days are extremely popular events and what was great to see so many return to the calendar in 2022. These events represent ideal opportunities for business operators, especially those in the agricultural, horticulture and farming sectors, to meet with manufacturers and see first-hand, the latest technology and model releases. They can also present opportunities to order machinery and often to take advantage of special deals which are only available at the field days.
To optimise opportunities presented by field days, smart operators will be planning ahead for 2023 events and pre-arranging machinery finance to be ready to buy. The Association of Agricultural Field Days of Australasia (AAFD) provides a convenient listing of all the events both in Australia and in New Zealand in addition to some international events. A great reference point to start the planning and we can provide pre-approved machinery finance to further assist buyers maximise attendance.
2023 Field Days Calendar
The AAFD register of fields days for this year includes many, many events. Those interested in plotting out their full year can refer to the specific events of interest in their area.
For others with a more general view, here are a few key dates to diarise for 2023:-
- AgQuip Gunnedah, regarded as the largest event on the field days calendar will be held on 22-24 August. Due to the popularity and scale of this event, locking in plans well ahead could be in order. The date is too far off to source pre-approved machinery finance but not too far off to do the preliminary research and planning to be ready to apply as the date nears and the machinery requirements become clearer.
- AgGrow will be held in Emerald Queensland over the three days of 22nd to 24th Close to EOFY so buyers would want to have finance in place if planning to buy at this event.
- Australian National Field Days will be held in Orange NSW from 26 to 28 October.
- Agrotrend will be held in Bundaberg Queensland in early May.
- The Karoonda Farm Fair and Show in South Australia is coming up soon starting 31 March for 3 days. Keen buyers can start talking to us about finance for purchases and lock-in loans.
- East Gippsland Victoria Field Days will be held at the Bairnsdale Aerodrome on 21-22 April.
- Mildura Victoria Field Days will be held 19-20 May. Considering the flooding which has been occurring in this region, it may advisable to check in with organisers regularly and lock-in accommodation and other arrangements early.
- Henty Machinery Field Days are also held later in the year around September with dates TBA.
- Murrumbateman Field Days also in October this year.
- Early in the year is the Tocal Field Days in the Hunter Valley. This year the event takes place 5-7 May.
- Mingnew Midwest Expo in WA will be held 9-10 August.
- Dowerin (WA) Machinery Field Days are also slated for end of August.
- For Tasmanian operators, lock in the dates 4-6 May for AgFest.
Refer back to the AAFD website for updates and dates not as yet published and refer to individual field days for details of exhibitors.
Pre-planning Machinery Finance
While many of the 2023 field days occur in the second half of the year, there are some in the first half and there are steps which can be taken even well ahead of the date. Here are a few tips for long-range and last-minute finance for buying at field days:-
- Research finance products and discuss with the business accountant which is best suited to the individual operation. The selection includes Chattel Mortgage, Leasing, Commercial Hire Purchase and Rent to Buy.
- Use a finance calculator to work up rough estimates of possible machinery loan repayments. Being mindful that the interest rate offered to you may vary from the current rates when using the calculator. But these estimates can be very helpful for forming general ideas.
- If planning machinery a long way in advance, allow for changes in interest rates and possibly in the pricing of machinery. Machinery finance interest rates can change with decisions made by the Reserve Bank of Australia and will vary across the lending market over time. Supply, inflation and other issues may have impacts on the price of new machinery when launched into the market. Being aware of these issues and factoring them into planning is strongly advised.
- In the lead-up to field days, make an application for pre-approved machinery loans. We provide this option so operators can have confirmed, approved offers for specific loan amounts ready to go when attending events such as field days.
- Talk to our consultants at any time regarding machinery loan options to assist with planning.
Finance Dates to Note
When planning machinery finance and acquisitions in advance, there are a few key dates and events to keep in mind in addition to the field days:-
- May Federal Budget: policies made at Federal level can impact business taxation and other business operating conditions.
- RBA meetings are held on the first Tuesday of each month (excluding January) and decisions made can impact machinery finance interest rates.
- 30 June end of financial year is the deadline for finalising acquisitions for inclusion in 22/23 tax returns and annual accounts.
- 30 June is the deadline for instant asset write-off. Assets must be operational in the business prior to this date to be eligible for this tax measure.
- Mid-year/EOFY sales can often start in May or early June and may present good discounts.
For machinery finance prior to field days, contact Jade Equipment Finance on 1300 000 003
DISCLAIMER: IF MISINTERPRETATIONS, MISREPRESENTATION OR ERRORS EXIST IN THIS ARTICLE, NO LIABILITY IS ACCEPTED. THE INFORMATION IS PROVIDED ONLY FOR GENERAL PURPOSES AND NOT IN ANY MANNER INTENDED AS THE ONLY SOURCE FOR MAKING FINANCIAL DECISIONS. THOSE THAT CONSIDER THEY REQUIRE ADDITIONAL GUIDANCE OR ADVICE SHOULD REFER TO AN INDEPENDENT FINANCIAL ADVISOR.